The Perioperative Nursing Certificate is designed to provide nurses with an understanding of the operating room nurse’s role and responsibilities as part of the surgical team. Instruction includes components of the basic sciences, surgical asepsis/sterile technique, operating room techniques, surgical procedures, clinical practices and the assessment of patient’s physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. The content is based on the standards and recommended practices established by the Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN). Upon completion, students will be prepared for an entry-level operating room staff nurse position. Graduates are also eligible to join the AORN and, following two years of operating room experience, may sit for the elective certification exam.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Identify the role and responsibilities of the perioperative nurse.
- Correlate the knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and microbiology to the role of the perioperative nurse.
- Demonstrate a safe level of practice and knowledge in the circulating and scrubbing roles.
- Identify the components of the nursing process into the perioperative experience.
- Identify the purpose and principles for maintaining environmental controls within the Operating Room Suite.
- Identify the important elements, actions, and use of medications and anesthetic agents used during the perioperative experience.
- Apply principals of aseptic technique in the clinical setting.
- Discuss the process of disinfection/sterilization of instruments and equipment.
- Demonstrate safety in regards to perioperative routines, patient transportation, patient positioning and emergency interventions.
- Acquire an understanding of the medical, ethical, legal, and moral values which relate to the individual patient, perioperative nurse, and operating room procedures.
- Identify common instruments, supplies, and equipment.
Certificate in Perioperative Nursing
670 W Boylston St, Worcester, MA 01606
Worcester , United States