The 46-credit M.S. in Family Nurse Practitioner prepares nurses to meet the health care needs of the family in a variety of settings including clinics, hospitals, ambulatory care centers, schools, homes and work places.
It is designed for the Registered Nurse with a B.S. in nursing who wishes to acquire the clinical knowledge and skills needed for advance-practice nursing roles.
This program is presented in a blended format. All courses are web-enhanced using BlackBoard. Basic computer skills are required.
The baccalaureate and master's degrees at the Harriet Rothkopf Heilbrunn School of Nursing (LIU Brooklyn), are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. Accredited by the New York State Board of Regents. Graduates are eligible for New York State certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner and for national certification through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANPCB).
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Synthesize knowledge from advanced theoretical and empirical sciences to generate nursing theory relevant to the advanced practice nursing role
- Evaluate clinical data for planning, implementation and evaluation of health care to promote, maintain and/or restore an optimum level of health and adaptation in selected client populations
- Utilize the research process in the systematic investigation of factors that influence the health and the adaptation of client populations
- Assume a collegial role in consultation with other care providers to enhance the quality and accessibility of health care services to consumers
- Utilize the advanced practice role to exercise leadership responsibility, professional accountability and the scholarly approach to health care
- Generate a personal philosophy and role definition that reflects commitment to human values and contributes to the evolution of nursing as a profession
- Utilize oral and written communication skills to actualize the advanced practice of the nursing role
1 University Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Brooklyn , United States